Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Resolutions for a New Year

We have already experienced 21 days of 2011, but I don't think it's too late to talk about goals for the new year!  I've always been a goal-setter and list-maker, finding great satisfaction in achievement and completion of desired tasks.  So, it is no surprise that I decided to write some New Year's Resolutions for this year.

On the (very) long plane ride back to Germany earlier this month, I tapped out about 35 goals on my ipod touch.  These included...
-- hospitality (inviting new friends and long-time BFA staff members into our home)
-- reflection (analyzing student needs and assessing how to meet them)
-- connection (continued accountability and fellowship with like-minded believers here in Germany)
-- communication (continued contact with friends and family in the States)
-- devoted prayer (for family and friends around the world, for my students, for BFA, for my neighbors)

It really was a great list.  I thought.  And then, it happened.  While I was doing a New year's goal activity with my small group girls, I accidentally pressed "delete."  With no "undo" option on the ipod, my well-crafted list was gone forever!  The first thing I heard come out of my mouth was this: "Well, I guess God didn't want me to have those resolutions!"

I was reminded of this important lesson: As much as I plan and put pressure on myself, God is ultimately in control.  While the goals still remain at the forefront of my mind, I believe that surrender is far greater.

I can't think of a better way to start 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment